First of all I would like to thank all the bloggers who support this site and continue to do so every day. It is gratifying to know that so many of you find the content useful and entertaining and we hope you will continue to log on. The numbers detailed at the end of this post show that there were almost 5 million hits on this site since July 19 which is not even 4 months.
As promised, here’s an update on what Christian and I have done re your comments last week on areas where you saw the need for change/improvement on the site. We have resolved 90% of your requests and I’m enclosing a report on what we have achieved to date.
1. Relocate” Welcome” – Welcome has been moved to the top of the site under Visitors on the left hand sidebar
2. As requested, we have increased the number of posts on the front page from 10 to 15 – a 50% increase. (Let’s hope this doesn’t slow down loading times)
3. We have moved the Tag Cloud which was on the front page, to eliminate some of the “clutter”
4. Combine Authors’ Sites and Authors’ Blogs on the site – Done
5. Remove Storm who everyone hated and replace her with Hugh Jackman – Done *g*
6. Do a FAQ on the site – This is underway (Tam is doing this)
7. Comments Feature – This is one area that will take a little more time to resolve but Christian has made a few changes and he’s looking into a permanent solution. If you know of a site that has a great “Comment” feature please provide the information on this post.
8. One continuing issue that we seem to have is the “cut” on posts for feeds such as RSS and Livejournal that many bloggers use to read posts for different websites and blogs. Originally I set up the feed so that the entire post would be visible. Last week it was suggested that I only show 3 lines of each feed since some bloggers found the pictures on the site not work safe, especially on Fridays. Well I made the change and this resulted in requests to go back to the original setting where the complete post is visible.
This is a very difficult decision for me because no matter what I do I won’t please everyone. However, since bloggers who access the site through their feed readers have the ability to check the posts at times during the day when it’s more convenient and not visible to everyone in their workplace, I have decided to revert to the original setting. This is less inconvenient than having to constantly go out of the feed reader to read the entire post and comment.
9. For the other outstanding stuff I would like to ask you to bear with us as the site is experiencing incredible growth since it was set up. Our usage statistics are unbelievable for such a small site and to give you an idea, here’s the usage chart from Fat.Cow the company that hosts the site. Since we moved here in the middle of July the number of hits each month has increased tremendously:
July 19 to the end of the month 202,973 hits
August 523,000 hits
September 1,290,460 hits
October 1,987,307 hits
November (to date) 586,000 hits