Harlequin Romances has decided that if you can’t beat them join them. The company, which is based in Toronto, has just announced the formation of a new digital division, Carina Press. Here’s the press release
Announcing Carina Press, Harlequin’s new digital-only publishing house – launching Spring 2010!
We’re taking submissions now for Carina Press, our first eBook-only business, for a Spring 2010 consumer launch. Visit www.CarinaPress.com for more details!
What makes Carina Press unique?
Digital Distribution only:
- Carina Press titles will be released solely in eBook format
- The eBooks will be sold through the Carina Press website and 3rd party distribution on other eBook retailer websites
Advantage of “swift-to-market” digital production:
- Steampunk, Scifi, Futuristic Fantasy and sub-genres like Egyptian romances – if readers are blogging about a genre with passion and interest, we’ll publish it
- The swift-to-market digital production process will allow us to compete aggressively in popular digital editorial niches
Flexible publishing schedule:
- Frequency is key in the digital space. Carina Press will release new titles weekly to remain competitive with other digital publishing houses such as Ellora’s Cave.
Digital Business Model:
- As is the case with most digital publishing houses, Carina Press contracts do not offer an advance but are strictly royalty-based
- In order to be competitive, Carina Press titles will not have the DRM-protection that is currently on all Harlequin titles
I will be interviewing Angela James who is the Executive Editor for the new company and Angie will give you, authors AND readers, the full scoop.
Of course Carina will be publishing all types of romances as well as non romance titles, but on this site we are only interested in one area, Male/Male romances, and it looks like a new major player just hit town!
Welcome to the new age Harlequin and Carina Press