Title: Shy (Audiobook)
Author: John Inman
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Release Date: November 30, 12012
Genre(s): M/M Romance, Comedy
Page Count: 256 Pages
Reviewed by: JLoves2Read for Gay Book Reviews and Alpha Book Club
Heat Level: 3 flames out of 5
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Dating is hard enough. Throw in an incontinent Chihuahua, an unrequited love affair, a severe case of social anxiety disorder, a dying father, and a man-eating hog and it becomes darned near impossible. Still, it takes two to tango—and when Tom Morgan, a mild-mannered assistant bank manager with a debilitating case of shyness, meets Frank Wells, who is straight off the farm and even shyer than he is, sparks start flying.
Just when Tom and Frank’s burgeoning love affair is rolling along nicely, Frank must return to Indiana to oversee the farm while his father battles cancer. Tom tags along to help Frank out and finds himself slopping hogs and milking cows and wondering what the hell happened to his orderly citified existence. And what’s with all the chickens? Tom hates chickens!
With Frank’s help, Tom grits his teeth and muddles through. Funny what a couple of guys can accomplish when they’re crazy about each other. Not even nine hundred chickens can stand in the way of true love.
So, it seems this book has gotten a bad rap and it is one of the reasons I avoided it so long, that and the cover.. I mean when you look at the cover of a man carrying a dog running from a boar you wonder. BUT, once I read it…I loved it! Lesson, Don’t judge a book by it’s cover!
This is an audiobook review, and overall I am giving this unique and fun story 4 stars! It should be noted that while this book is full of humor, it is centered on a legitimate mood disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder or S.A.D. which people don’t understand and often discount its seriousness for the person affected. This book may have emotional triggers for those who suffer from this disorder; however, I think Inman does a wonderful job of showing that S.A.D. is more than just being shy. Inman’s main characters, Tom and Frank go way beyond being shy, they are both diagnosed with S.A.D. and what starts as a brother pawning off his little brother to a friend, ends in a wonderful relationship between two men who not only understand each other but essentially help each other where previous therapy has failed. Oh, and yes don’t worry they fall in love on the way!
So, since this book is one that is totally unexpected I am going to do a totally unexpected review and list 15 things you will experience while you either read or listen to this story, ready?
Key things you will experience in this story are: love, Pedro, 900 Chickens, Grace, Stanley the dick, Samson..did I mention 900 chickens?!? Trust me you gotta read it!
15 things to expect:
1. You will laugh, you will laugh a lot.
2. You will hate Stanley the Dick.
3. You will either love or hate Pedro..I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with him.
4. You will gain a new appreciation for farmers.
5. You will see what a city boy can do wrong on a farm in 24 hours.
6. You will see undying love between a father and son.
7. You will have plenty of sexy times.
8. You will fear Samson.
9. You will have a new understanding of social anxiety disorder.
10. You will watch Tom and Frank fall in love.
11. You will be invited to Grace’s birth of her kiddies.
12. You will hate Stanley, the dick,…wait did I mention that? Oh well he deserves to be mentioned twice.
13. You will learn what sacrifice is and what you will go through when you love someone..even if it’s 900 chickens, a 1400lb monster, Stanley the dick, Pedro, a leach.. And more..yes for love you will do just about anything.
14. You will cry.
15. You will never judge a book by it’s cover again.
“I’m glad you’ve got each other. You look happy. I hope you can stay that way. I have no issue whatsoever with you being the way you are. Just be good to each other. That’s all I ask. And be happy.”
This is my first book by John Inman…but it won’t be my last!! I hope you will all grab this wonderful book!